Reporting to the Dean of Libraries this position is responsible for the operation of our Library Technical Services Unit.
The Technical and Electronic Services Librarian is a multifaceted role providing leadership in information technology, overseeing the implementation and maintenance of the library management system (FOLIO) and other automated systems, and managing desktop applications. Responsibilities extend to coordinating electronic resources and ensuring the accuracy of bibliographic records. In a supervisory capacity, the librarian manages staff training and development, evaluates work processes, and conducts performance assessments. Collaboration is key, serving as a liaison with University of Missouri System counterparts and the campus information technology department, coordinating with library units, and participating in regional and national library organizations. The librarian also troubleshoots electronic resource access problems, evaluates digital products, and processes vendor-supplied records. Overall, this role demands technical expertise, managerial skills, collaboration, and a commitment to maintaining high cataloging standards while ensuring seamless access to electronic resources.
- Responsible for all cataloging functions including managing or performing both original and copy cataloging, database maintenance, and other related automation projects.
- Ensures the accuracy and integrity of bibliographic and authority records in the online catalog.
- Maintains cataloging policies and procedures for technical services and revises annually.
- Updates holdings data to reflect material transfer, withdrawal and additions.
- Maintains accurate records of location and status of all library items.
- Keeps monthly records of title additions and deletions.
- Maintains statistics and prepares reports.
- Assists in the implementation, management and development of the library management system.
- Maintains electronic resource linkages and access.
- Coordinates with librarians to provide electronic resources to faculty and students.
- Provides technological support library systems.
- Participates in library planning, including developing unit and project goals, priorities, and procedures.
- Develops procedures, sets priorities, assigns work activities, and monitors workflow within assigned areas.
- Hires, supervises, trains, and evaluates staff. Ensures that personnel policies are correctly and consistently carried out.
- Works with staff to develop and follow personalized professional development plans.
- Contributes to grant proposals as appropriate based on library priorities.
- Collaborates with colleagues working in related areas.
- Actively participates in professional development activities including committees, regional and national organizations, research and publishing, and other professional development opportunities.
- Keeps abreast of developments in technical and electronic services standards and trends, applying new rules, interpretations, and techniques as appropriate.
- Performs additional job duties as assigned.
For more information, visit:
Benefit Information: https://hr.mst.edu/total-rewards/benefits/
About Missouri University of Science and Technology: https://www.mst.edu/about/
About the Library: https://library.mst.edu/
City of Rolla: https://www.rollacity.org/